Tuesday 21 April 2015

Company for the Hubli Passenger


 A chance remark by the security guard at the colony gate whether Biscuit would run away if he is taken off his leash set me thinking. More than his running away I am worried about his getting scared of the vehicular traffic and running on to the road. In the morning walk today was tempted to take him off the leash for a while, but, desisted.
 Run commenced at 4:08 AM and the humid weather meant an earlier strip tease as I entered the Haddows Road. The dogs of that stretch not accustomed to the skin show did not seem to resent it.
 The Dog with the weather vane tongue was coming with head bowed low and tongue almost touching the ground, ominous signs! Mr. Srinivasan of the elaborate greeting (Namaste with a loud clap!) accosted me as I got on to the pavement near Gandhi statue. Cow feeding is now getting to be routine with the first come first served principle becoming the accepted allocation method among the cows. Two skinny buffaloes did seem to complain about step motherly treatment!
 The first loop around the Island ground was in darkness, the return loop got me nice company for the entire stretch. First came a jawan who caught up with me from behind near the war memorial and when I saw him trying to overtake, I quietly stepped on the gas. We ran in step silently till the intersection of flag staff road to Mount road where he broke off. He did try to cut loose but we parted with smiles of mutual respect exchanged. Next immediately came a tango with a Marathi jawan who called me Thata (for grandpa in Tamil) in heavily accented Tamil. I asked him to speak in Hindi/English. After exchanging distance run and age, he informed that they had to run 5K every month as qualifying PET. The cut off times are 27 mts for below 30 year olds, 30 mts for upto 40 year olds. He effortlessly broke away as we turned into Sivananda Road and I could just follow him in awe. The police patrol jeep parked near the Doordarshan Kendra from which the constable waved did restore my ego! I crossed a smiling Sundar Purush​ near the Munroe statue. We were again to cross near the Venkateswara temple a second time.
 I met Kannan Vc​, the birthday boy as I was getting into my second loop. I wished him on the auspicious occasion. I completed the run at 7:30 AM making it a relaxed 3:22 32K for the day. The fantastic performance by the Indian contingent at Boston is heart-warming and of special mention is barefoot 3:30 by Thomas Bobby Philip​. Congratulations Team India!

No comments:

Post a Comment